Sunday, January 24, 2021

Creating a Tiny "Book of Hours"

I'm currently reading a book about expressing oneself spiritually through art and poetry...

The book is full of exercises.

I was surprised to come across one recently that suggested dividing the day into "divine hours" - like monastics did, when they prayed five, six or even seven times a day.

Make a little "Book of Hours" by folding a strip of paper into pages, accordion style. Then write a haiku (3 line) prayer for these different prayer times: dawn, mid-morning, noon, mid- afternoon, suppertime, evening and bedtime... Those were the instructions...

I was surprised because I remembered that I had done this exercise before... quite a few years ago at an art workshop.

I still had my little "Book of Hours"... 

The leader had also suggested we paint a color on each page - a color that reflected our mood or energy level at each time of the day...

Did I the workshop leader used a copy of this book to give her ideas?!

Such a co-incidence!

No comments:

Post a Comment