Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Easy Mug Cake

I love the concept of a "mug cake" - a single-serving cake that can be mixed and baked in a mug. But finding a "healthy" (low-carb) mug cake recipe hasn't been easy. Non-wheat flour recipes I've tried  (using coconut flour or ground almonds instead of wheat flour) have been dry.

I'm still looking for the perfect low-carb chocolate mug cake recipe. But in the meantime, here's my favorite version that I make often. It isn't very sweet - but it's chocolate! 

The original recipe comes from a cookbook for runners entitled Run Fast. Cook Fast. Eat Slow.










Here's the original recipe...

My modified version isn't very sweet...To make it, a large mug that holds more than 8 ounces of liquid is needed.




In the mug, microwave the following on high power for 10-15 seconds: 
  • 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil, 
  • 1/2 teaspoon of honey and
  • 1 teaspoon of apple sauce.

Add the following:

  • 1/4 cup of almond meal, 
  • 1 teaspoon of cocoa, 
  • 1 teaspoon of desiccated coconut, 
  • 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon of chocolate chips
Then add one egg slightly beaten. Mix well in mug and smooth top. 
Microwave for 90 seconds on high. Let stand for 5 minutes before eating.

(To simplify matters, I've prepared several containers of the dry ingredients... making my own home-made mug cake mix!)

No comments:

Post a Comment