Saturday, January 12, 2019

Wrist Pain Update

For years now I've had wrist and thumb pain from knitting and crocheting. At times it was quite debilitating.

When the pain would finally keep me awake at night, I'd end up seeing a physiotherapist. Several sessions a week for a few months usually cleared up the pain - but it would return again once I started knitting.

Isn't there a better way to manage the pain - so that it won't get this bad? I'd often wonder.

This year I decided to try a new approach: Doing wrist and thumb exercises to stop the pain from developing.

I also purchased a book on the ergonomics of hand-knitting entitled Knitting Comfortably. I'm slowly going through it, to learn how I can avoid injuring myself. I've already picked up a few tips - like choosing needles to fit the yarn - so as to avoid adding extra strain.

I've also started doing exercises I found online, which I do regularly.

I've come to the conclusion that I may have DeQuervain's Syndrome or DeQuervain's Tenosynovitis. I'm doing exercises for that.

The book, Knitting Comfortably, also mentioned an exercise called the Finkelstein Stretch, which is a wonderful help.

I'm not totally pain-free yet. Some days I re-injure myself. I realize that other activities, such as using a computer and writing can also add strain.

But I'm a lot better - and I feel as if I have a measure of control over the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment