Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Summary of Marie Kondo's Book

I couldn't renew the Marie Kondo book on decluttering at the library - there were 6 holds on it.

I quickly placed a hold on it again - along with her newest book, Spark Joy

Then I summarized the points that jumped out at me from my first reading.

I want to keep organizing the house until I get the book back again. Looking through it a second time will be a quick refresher.

These are the points I remember:

  1. Don't make tidying a daily drudgery... Set aside special time for it and try to get it done quickly. (I've been working at it a lot. Maybe it has become a bit of a drudgery. But doing pottery again, I'll be busy elsewhere twice a week.)
  2. In deciding what to get rid of, keep only what you love. By eliminating what doesn't "spark joy" some have found their true passion.
  3. Store things vertically as much as possible, to maximize space. 
  4. Get rid of papers, unless they need to be kept permanently, like birth certificates - or for a set amount of time, like warranties. Even instruction booklets can be tossed - the information in them is readily available online.
  5. Even photographs should be thrown out if they don't "spark joy."
  6. Store things of a kind in one spot, not several.
  7. Store handbags inside each other to save space. Make sure the inside bag's strap is sticking out so that it can easily be found.
  8. Decorate closet space in an interesting way. Consider it like a small room.
With these points in mind, I'm sure I'll have enough to keep me busy until the book comes back to me and I can see what I've missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment