Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Winter: Decluttering Season

My prime decluttering season is winter - the four months, more or less, when I'm indoors most of the time. 

After reading the newspaper article on Marie Kondo's decluttering style a few weeks ago, I went to the library to borrow her book: the Life-changing Magic of Tidying Up.

I've found it an interesting read. (I need a little life-changing magic!) I like a lot of what she says.
  • The concept of getting rid of everything that provides no joy - her gauge for deciding what to keep and what to toss. 
  • The admonition to gather like items from around the house, rather than tidying room by room. (All your coats or shoes, for example.)
  • The plan to start with clothing rather than sentimental items when going through things.
I've tried to follow her suggestions, but haven't totally succeeded... (I guess like every method, one does have to personalize it a bit! But does that mean I'm going to fail?!)

She admonishes working quickly to see a difference - hence the "magic"! Then she explains that "quickly" may take up to 6 months. Don't tidy and declutter every day, she writes. Plan it and make it a special event.

(I hope the book isn't on hold for somebody else at the library - I'm going to need it for more than 3 weeks!)


No comments:

Post a Comment