Monday, January 7, 2019

Pomegranate: A Greek Orthodox Christmas Symbol

Today is Greek Orthodox Christmas... I discovered this fact while looking up information on pomegranates...

Apparently in modern Greek tradition, a single pomegranate is hung above the door of the house on Christmas day.

Pomegranates are seasonal decorations at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, as well.  An online article gives the history of this fruit as an important symbol, which it has been for centuries. It also mentions that pomegranates can be grown in pots... Maybe I should take some of the seeds and see if they'll sprout!



My own love affair with pomegranates began when I picked one from a branch at the side of a road in Israel when I was 19.

Even now, whenever I see them for sale in supermarkets, I can't resist buying one - and my memory always takes me back to that roadside pomegranate tree where I picked my first one!

No comments:

Post a Comment