Saturday, June 14, 2014

What a Difference Glazing Makes!

Over the past month or so, in my studio time, I have been working on two bird baths and a number of clay heads...


The bird baths are a challenge as they are large. In fact, the flat one with the "branch" in the middle broke after I made it, so I added more "branches"to replace the broken side - hoping they would stick to the structure that had already begun to harden. I'm not sure if it will hold water or leak!








I'm waiting for it to come out of the kiln, glazed, but the other bird bath is ready - as are the two heads, which I glazed as well. (They are the first heads I have dipped in glaze.)

Here is the bird bath - glazed on the inside.








I plan to paint and varnish the outside.








 

I don't think I like these glazed heads. 

They didn't succeed as well as I had hoped, I commented to a fellow potter. They look a little "diseased"!

I don't know. Maybe you need to redefine what you mean by "success."

He's right. Every time things don't turn out the way I hope, I do learn something useful, so it can't be considered a failure!

I just wish I loved every piece I made!

No comments:

Post a Comment