Saturday, June 7, 2014

Community Fun Day

I'm heading over to the community barbecue and fun day, I called to my son (who was born a few months after we moved into our house, so he has lived in this community all his life).

 

Do you really feel our neighborhood is a community? he asked. How many people do you know?

He had a point. Though we have lived here for more than 30 years, our little community - a neighborhood about a mile (or 1.6 kilometers) square within the city of Ottawa - was constantly changing.

When our children were young, we knew many families with children the same age. But would I know anyone now?

Nonetheless I headed over.






There were pony rides for children around our neighborhood baseball diamond - where my sons had once played little league ball...












There were barbecued hamburgers and hot dogs...












 ... a plant exchange...












... a fire engine tour.














Children were playing on the same play structure my children had loved when they were young.

The turnout was excellent. Everyone was having fun. Terry joined the community association - our little "action group" that speaks for the community. We both had hamburgers. I saw only one person I know, a woman who had been in my exercise group a few years ago.

Do we have a community? I don't know - but for a few hours it felt as if we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment