Thursday, June 12, 2014

Garden Visitors

A friend in British Columbia mentioned deer ruining parts of her garden. Our animal visitors aren't that large - or as destructive!

We have rabbits, but they have never damaged my flowers. I like to think they nibble on weeds! Our nocturnal visitors - skunks (whom we smell) and raccoons dine in our compost pile or dig up grubs in the grass - but they leave my flower beds alone.








Squirrels (like the one on the left) are a bigger nuisance. They are constantly digging holes and planting seeds in the grass and in the flower beds. I am continually digging small saplings out from among the flowers!

In fact, I've come up with an idea on how to put these eager tree planters to good use! Every year hundreds of young people head to forested areas to plant new trees.



Why not take squirrels instead - with mounds of seeds to plant? They'd do a great job - at a fraction of the cost! (And perhaps I wouldn't have to remove quite so many little trees from our garden beds!)

No comments:

Post a Comment