Friday, June 6, 2014

Weeding: A Guessing Game!

I have been spending a lot of my gardening time weeding...


 - scooting around near the ground on my little gardener's bench with wheels...







... filling garbage can after garbage can with unwanted plants that have been taking over my flower beds.











My main targets have been the green and white gout weed, that has covered so much of our front garden bed, seen so clearly in this picture taken a few weeks ago, before the other plants had come up.









Also the low-lying Creeping Charlie - currently in bloom with cute little blue flowers.








 


There are a number of other plants I'm not too sure about: Are they weeds or are they flowers?

My mother used to say that a weed was a plant in the wrong place. For me weeds are also unwelcome plants - that somehow arrive - then move in - and are hard to evict!


 



The problem is that some of them, before they bloom, look a lot like flowers I have planted.

Is it a weed or a flower? (Sometimes it's a guessing game!)

My neighbor Rob's advice: Wait till it blooms - then you'll know! But by then, it may have moved in to stay!

No comments:

Post a Comment