Friday, June 13, 2014

Visiting the Nepean Museum

The city we moved to more than 30 years ago was called Nepean, literally across the street from Ottawa, Canada's capital. Then 13 years ago, the two cities amalgamated - to the dismay of many Nepean residents. Gone was the feeling of being able to influence what happened in city hall - of being able to just show up at city meetings and be listened to by mayor and aldermen. Gone was the pride of living in a city that was debt free!


Terry still laments the loss of Nepean - so it was with some nostalgia we recently visited the Nepean Museum, not far from our house, where Terry was given a replica Nepean flag.











We wandered through the museum, looking at pioneer era tools and implements that had been used in our region - some of which I remember using!










Also a collection of musical instruments - like this organ with "mouse-proof" pedals!












I remember using an iron like this one - that had to be heated by placing it on a hot wood-burning stove.












I learned to sew on my mother's treadle Singer sewing machine - similar to this one. When she bought her first electric machine in the 1950s, the treadle machine went to an aunt who still has it in her basement!









I learned to take pictures - black and white, of course! - using my mother's box camera like the one on the left - a camera my mother took up north when she got her first teaching job in 1939.

Seeing all these items from my childhood in a museum reminded me that I've been around long enough to see a lot of changes!

No comments:

Post a Comment