Saturday, January 25, 2014

Yummy Spinach Quiche

I enjoy eating quiche but haven't made one in years. I had some frozen pie crust and spinach on hand, so I decided to try making a spinach quiche... As I've never made one with spinach before, I checked two recipes - one online, the other in a cookbook to get the general idea. My recipe is a combination of the two!














It was delicious, so here is how I made it... for future reference for me. (And maybe someone else would like to try it too!)
  • Remove frozen pie crust from aluminum pan and put it in a slightly larger glass pie plate that provides extra room above the crust (in case the quiche rises above the crust). 
  • Fry a small onion, chopped, in a little oil. Add a clove of chopped garlic and about about 1 1/2 cups of chopped fresh spinach. Fry until the onion is transparent and the spinach slightly cooked.
  • Meanwhile, on top of the unbaked pie crust layer several ham slices - cut in small pieces - and some shredded mild cheddar cheese, enough to cover the bottom of the crust. (I didn't measure it, but I'd guess about about a cup or 250 ml of shredded cheese.)
  • Spoon the spinach mixture on top of the ham and cheese. 
  • Top that with a few cherry tomatoes, sliced in half.
  • In a large measuring cup blend a cup (250 ml) of half and half or milk and three beaten eggs. Pour this mixture over everything.
  • Bake at 450 degrees Fahrenheit (230 degrees Celsius) for 15 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 300 degrees Fahrenheit (150 degrees Celsius) and cook for another half an hour. Don't open the oven - the temperature should drop gradually on its own.
  • Test for readiness by poking a knife into the center of the quiche. If it comes out clean, the quiche is ready.
  • Remove from oven and let it stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment