Sunday, January 26, 2014

Cultivating Attentiveness

For many years I had a half-hour drive to work. I remember on numerous occasions nearing my final turn-off and suddenly realizing I was there! What had I been thinking about?! I don't know - but I had absolutely no recollection of the journey. My mind had been on other things. It was a bit of a shock to realize I was there.

When I mentioned this to one of my co-workers, she replied: Well, you must have been somewhat attentive, because you arrived safely and on time. 

Yes, but I didn't remember the journey!

Being more attentive to "the journey" has become one of my goals in retirement. That is why I am drawn to these words by Joan Chittister:  "We have learned well in our time to go through life nonstop. Now it is time to learn to collect ourselves from time to time so that God can touch us in the most hectic of moments."

"If I am present to this child before I dress her, then the dressing becomes an act of creation. If I am present to my spouse in the living room, then marriage becomes an act of divine communion. If I am present to the flower before I cut it, then life becomes precious. If I am present to the time of prayer before I pray, then prayer becomes the juncture of the human with the Divine."

I like to talk to people who are giving me all their attention. Why is it so hard for me to live in a similarly attentive way?!!

No comments:

Post a Comment