Monday, January 13, 2014

Cataract Surgery

The time has come for me to think about... cataract surgery. The vision in my left eye has been bothering me, so I went to see my ophthalmologist. At times I have been noticing a "smudginess" in the center of my field of vision.

It's caused by a cataract that has been forming, he tells me. Do you want me to put you on the wait list for cataract surgery?

I shouldn't be surprised - years ago, when my mother had her surgery, he mentioned that I had a cataract forming as well.

Yes, if it will help.














Now for the decisions! To get a regular lens (that is totally paid for by OHIP - the Ontario government Health Insurance Plan)? Or to get a specialty lens, which would involve a surcharge? There are a few options. As I read the information the doctor provides, I eliminate the specialty lens that may cause halos around lights at night. I want the best night vision I can get. As I do my online searches, I am thankful that cataract surgery is a medical option available to me - and that I have the internet to help me make a more informed decision. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey there, I had cataract surgery last March at age 35. Here in Ottawa I saw Dr. Agapitos and had the surgery done at the riverside. It was super quick and easy and such an improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear your experience was good. I'm sure I'll be happy once it's done, too!

    ReplyDelete