Saturday, January 18, 2014

Pancakes Made With Coconut Flour

My low-carb eating has led me to modify some recipes I use - with varying degrees of success. (Terry is still not a fan of chocolate cakes made with whole wheat and white flour - plus a bit of this and that, such as spelt flour, wheat germ, ground almonds, and other healthy things!)

A recent experiment with my breakfast crepe recipe has led me to a simple pancake recipe made with coconut flour. Not as thin as crepes, they still taste good and have fewer carbs than pancakes made with wheat flour.


















My intention was to make my usual crepe recipe using 1 egg, 1/3 cup (80 ml) milk, 1/3 cup (80 ml) flour, but to add some coconut flour as well. I often use a mix of ground almonds and soy flour instead of wheat flour. (Here is my blog post on that recipe.)

I doubled the recipe and used:
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 cup (160 ml) milk
  • 1/3 cup mix of ground almonds and soy flour (40 ml of each)
  • 1/3 cup (80 ml) of coconut flour
  • a dash of cinnamon














As soon as I blended it, the mixture puffed up, as if I had added baking powder. I read the instructions on the coconut flour package.














They recommended adding extra liquid - equal to the amount of of coconut flour used.

So I added:
  • 1/3 cup water
The batter was still puffy - not good for crepes - so I fried them like pancakes. They tasted great! Light, puffy pancakes - no baking powder needed.















Finding a low-carb (low sugar) topping is a challenge: I spread these with a bit of apple butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment