Friday, January 17, 2014

Pottery Jargon

Part of learning something new involves new expressions - using words in a new way. I did a few double takes when I first heard potters using this pottery jargon: What do they mean?!

Here is a sample of what was said - and the ideas that immediately sprang into my mind:

Are you throwing pots? Does this mean:
a) Are you tossing pots in the air?
b) Are you using a potters wheel to make them?

I haven't potted for a long time. Does this mean..
a) I haven't used "pot" for a long time.
b) I haven't made pottery for a long time.
c) I haven't transplanted plants into new pots for a long time.

Of course,  the correct answer - in both cases - to a potter is b. But when I heard them, it did take me a few moments to process what I was hearing and realize what was actually being said!

No comments:

Post a Comment