Wednesday, January 22, 2014

My Quilts of 2013

I have been going through the photos saved on my computer - transferring them to DVDs. One group of pictures that has lifted my spirits these cold winter days are the colorful quilts I worked on throughout the past year. Not all were finished - some are still only quilt tops. But here is a retrospective of my year - 2013 - in quilts!














Early in the year I tried to use up my brown and beige scraps.


















I completed two quilt tops in various shades of brown.














I also completed a quilted checker board I had started years ago!














Before using up all my stash of browns and beiges, I also made a reversible table runner...














(The flip side is a Hawaiian print.)














... and some mug-rugs!


















From there I moved to blue, finishing the blue Lover's Knot I had started in 2012.














With my stash of red, white and blue scraps, I made a free-style change mat for a baby.














I then used up a lot of primary color scraps - red, yellow and blue - with this queen-sized quilt. I actually managed to finish it and used it all summer on my bed.














 Then I started on a black, white and grey quilt - but I stopped in the middle. I couldn't decide if I liked it as is or if I needed to add a few dashes of color.














I moved on to a green quilt in a pattern of "pluses" or "crosses." I wasn't sure about that one, either. (Too many greens? Too many wonky pluses?) I wasn't sure, so I put it aside.














Then I started on this "jewel box" quilt that I'm still working on.













I also repaired several old quilts, like this log cabin I had made years ago.. (Little boys tugging on it had pulled out much of the hand quilting!)

 
 And this mauve one to match my daughter's bedroom wallpaper when she was young.














I was surprised by the number of quilts I had worked on.  Going through my photos also reminded me how important quilting is to me, how creating with colorful fabrics brightens my life, especially in winter.

1 comment:

  1. Love your quilts. I am currently hand quilting a star sampler quilt in reds, yellows & greens. It keeps me warm while I am quilting it and brightens the grey winter days. I love quilting I just wish I had more time to work on them! Have a great day! :-)
    Pat

    ReplyDelete