Monday, January 27, 2014

Learning (From My Mistakes)

I am having a hard time with my latest quilt project - a "Jewel Box" quilt - using quilt-in-a-day short-cuts and instructions.














As quilt pieces are sewn together, there are lots of corners that are supposed to align... and they aren't fitting properly!














Perhaps the flaws won't be quite as noticeable when it's quilted... (Do I take a chance?!)














In the meantime, I'm having a hard time motivating myself to work on it. I'm constantly asking myself: Should I take the sewing apart and try again?

I've learned two things from this project - maybe three!














When you have to fit lots of corners together...
  1. Use the same kind of fabric. Scraps of different fabrics stretch to varying degrees.
  2.  Make lots of extra squares, using only the ones the fit together well. The others cam be used for smaller projects like cushions or mug rugs.
The third thing I've learned is that I'm not good with finicky details! I'm best with designs that leave a lot of margin for error!

2 comments:

  1. I had the same experience with a mystery quilt that is similar to the one you are making. It helps to be accurate with your 1/4 inch seam allowance and to use the same ruler when cutting the fabric. I learned that I hate triangles and lots of small pieces but I finished it, but not before I took it apart a few times and realigned the points. Now I just have to quilt it but I am in the process of hand quilting another one so it will be a while! Don't despair we can usually iron it out or quilt it out or finally (and I am not suggesting this option) throw it out! It will be lovely in the end and only you and perhaps an experience quilter will see any mistakes. I have learned to live with mine. I mean they are not getting judged in a quilt show so each time I make a quilt I just try to improve and learn from the last one. I am getting better with practice and my new sewing machine. Just have fun and enjoy the hobby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right - it's a matter of keeping it in perspective. I do it for fun - and it may look better when quilted!

    ReplyDelete