Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Terms of Endearment

Reflecting on my upcoming cataract surgery - and how dear my vision is to me, I remembered that an Arabic term of endearment is "my eyes": "O my eyes, my eyes" in Arabic could be roughly translated "O my darling, my darling" in English!

How strange it sounds! But terms of endearment in other languages sound strange to us, too. I remember laughing when I first heard "my little cabbage" in French - "Mon petit chou."

Food as endearment? Why not?! In English, "My little dumpling" used to be popular, though it's not  heard much these days. But why a dumpling and not a piece of chocolate cake?!

A friend in Georgia calls her husband "Peach" - referring no doubt to the famous Georgia peaches.

Eyes? Cabbage? Dumpling? Peach? Why are any of these expressions terms of endearment?! I'm sure there's a story behind each one!

No comments:

Post a Comment