Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Multi-Directional Knitting

Until I started this shawl - knit in triangles - I had never heard of multi-directional knitting. (The three triangles are all the same size - more or less - but this perspective makes it look like a giant sock!)














Rather than casting off and cutting the yarn - then sewing knit pieces together - multi-directional knitting involves continuously adding to the knitting that exists, picking up stitches rather than casting on. As a long-time knitter, I've enjoyed learning this new approach!


















I'd like to try another multi-directional project - so I googled the term. I discovered that knitters have made hats, scarves and even sweaters using this technique. The yarn needs to be variegated or striped to get the full effect. Here is a close-up of the point where the three triangles join up.













I'm looking for a sweater pattern using multi-directional knitting and chunky yarn. I love the effect - and I like to see my knitting progress... fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment