Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Maintaining Lettuce Freshness

I often buy large plastic containers of greens.














(In my attempt to eat fewer carbs, I have started eating salad and egg for breakfast.)














My daughter, visiting for Christmas, had a suggestion for me: Put a piece of paper towel in with the lettuce to absorb moisture so that the greens maintain their crispness longer. I've been doing it for a few days now, and I think it works! In fact, I had to replace the towel at one point - it was drenched with moisture!

When the plastic container is empty, I wash and dry it and try to re-purpose it. I use some of these bins for fabric scraps - the tiny pieces left over when quilting. Through the clear plastic, I can see exactly what is in each container. I also use them to store of out-of-season shoes. Putting them in containers like this keeps them dust-free - and I can see exactly what each container holds when they are stacked on a shelf.

Does anyone have other uses for them?

2 comments: