Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Summer Memories of... FOOD!














I'm downloading summer 2010 pictures from my camera (amazed that my 8 gigabyte memory card can fill up so quickly!) ... And I notice so many pictures of FOOD! AMAZING UNFORGETTABLE food!

Like Mo's Bacon (Chocolate) Bar we bought in New York City in April.














(Yup, bits of crunchy, salty bacon inside the chocolate!)














The delicious strawberries we devoured daily in June...














The tasty hamburger platter I ate at the Works at a July birthday celebration... sweet potato fries and a hamburger topped with eggplant, avocado, salsa and feta cheese... Here is their menu... It's called Avril's Avocado Avalanche on a whole wheat bun!

The owner of this local chain of very successful hamburger restaurants recently sold his business to a company that plans to expand throughout Canada. (Not sure about the USA...) They are known for their unusual hamburger toppings... peanut butter, pears, salsa, avocado...AND MORE!! So watch for them!














Here are some peaches I fried in an experiment at making peach omlette... I should have made an omlette first, then tossed sliced peaches on top, as one would with cheese. But instead I poured whipped egg batter over these peaches... My idea didn't really work - the peaches were too runny, so the omlette fell apart! (But - sprinkled lightly with sugar - the concoction still tasted great!)














Then there was the hot dog Terry enjoyed in Toronto's St. Lawrence Market...














I can't remember what I ate... !














Here also is some chocolate I photographed - but didn't buy - in Toronto's Distillery District in August.

(By then I realized that I actually can - and do - gain weight in summer, in spite of increased walking outdoors...)

In September, I've been trying to be more cautionary - using the volumetrics food principles of adding low calorie fruit and veggies to potentially high caloric meals. (The idea is that we tend to "need" a certain weight or volume of food in order to feel full - and if we eat more low calorie food, we will automatically want to eat less of the high calorie items, as we will no longer feel hungry...)














So I dolloped half a cup of plain low-fat yogurt over a smallish piece of chocolate cake...














... then I added a mound of sliced strawberries!














And it tasted AMAZING!














In theory, this smaller serving of cake was supposed to fill me up... But I must confess, I ATE seconds!

No comments:

Post a Comment