Saturday, September 11, 2010

COLD Oatmeal - a Perfect Summer Breakfast

Terry loves warm, cooked oatmeal on cold winter days... I eat it but I'm not a big fan...

Then a few months ago, my cousin Rose-Marie sent me an unusual recipe for cold (uncooked) oatmeal cereal...

At first I was skeptical - I mean, how good can soggy oats taste?! But it did bear some resemblance to Muesli, a Swiss breakfast favorite. So I decided to give it a try.

And I actually liked it! But I didn't want to add sugar or sweetener...

So I began to experiment. Although I am including the original recipe link above, here is my own version of Cold Oatmeal... with dates, instead of blueberries.

Instructions:
1. Mix together:
  • 1/4 cup (or 60 ml) of oatmeal (uncooked rolled oats)...












  • ground cinnamon - several "shakes" (to taste)













  • 4 dates, cut in small pieces for each serving - or 12 dates for 3 servings (The dates are sweet enough to replace the sugar.)













2. Add enough milk to cover the cereal.














3. Refrigerate for several hours - or several days. (I usually make three portions at a time, enough for three meals...)














It's a little chewier than cooked oatmeal... but I love the taste and the texture...

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment