Saturday, September 4, 2010

Never After 10 pm...

We had been married only a short time and we were struggling... (This two becoming one was not an easy bonding at times...)

One evening we were having dinner with friends who had been married a few years longer than us... They seemed so experienced in this marriage-thing...

What was their secret of success? I wondered...

I couldn't help but ask: What's the best marriage advice anyone ever gave you?

They immediately replied: Never discuss anything controversial after 10 pm.

That's it?!... It seemed so simple!

So we gave it a try... and it did make a difference! So much so, that for years Terry would look at his watch whenever I wanted to discuss a "potentially-hot" topic... Then he'd ask: Isn't it after 10?

This "rule" (which we still practice today!) did prevent us from over-reacting when we were tired...

(Now I have to remember this advice when talking with my kids!)

No comments:

Post a Comment