Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Lobster!

The telephone call came from Halifax: Mom, I'm on my way home... And I wanted to warn you. I saw a guy selling lobsters here at the airport - so I bought a couple. You know how to cook them, don't you?

I've never cooked one in my life, I replied... And you know your father is allergic to fish...

Well a lobster isn't really a fish, he replied. So I wasn't sure...I thought it would be a real treat...

I guess we'll see, is all I could say.

He arrived home a few hours later bearing his gift: a package of two pre-cooked lobsters on ice, (fortunately) not two wriggling live ones!

They had both kinds, live ones in little containers of water and pre-packaged cooked ones on ice, he said. They were the same price, but I chose the ones on ice because I didn't know if we had any pots big enough for the live ones...














You made the right decision,
I replied, relieved that we didn't have to deal with lobsters that were still moving!














I think it would be good if you prepared them,
I told him. I've never even eaten them - and you have... Why not check on You Tube... I'll get some boiling water ready in our biggest pot.

Me?!!!

So he got a quick lesson on preparing, then breaking open lobster, thanks to the internet...

The experience is one I'm sure he will never forget...














Unwrapping the gift...














Dropping each lobster into boiling water for 5 minutes to finish cooking it...














Having decided he didn't want to bring the lobsters to the table, he got ready to pry open the shells to remove the meat in the kitchen... (There were a lot of groans along the way!)














The smell was too much for my husband and my other son... Grabbing their plates, they headed outdoors to the patio to eat there!














So the two of us dined alone, enjoying our chicken and lobster, cauliflower and rice...

It was definitely an unforgettable meal!

Next time I go to Halifax, I'm going to buy the live ones, he said when he had finished eating.

Well, don't bring them here, I stammered in surprise.

No, no - if I'm heading home to Toronto...

Well, make sure you have a large enough pot, I replied...

Yeah, I'll be ready...

(I had to admit: I envied his youthful - irrepressible - spirit of adventure!)

No comments:

Post a Comment