Saturday, July 3, 2010

It's Official! (I Can See)

Last December, I had laser eye surgery... To correct astigmatism and near-sightedness, I needed a strong vision correction, so the procedure was more intrusive than most these days. Instead of days, I needed weeks to get clear vision! But finally, two months after the surgery, the optometrist announced that I had 20/20 vision in my right eye - and a little less in my left... (Of course, I now need reading glasses - they had been built into my bifocals when I wore glasses.)

How is life different?! I wake up every morning - and no longer reach for my glasses to see the time on the clock! I can see!! For someone who has worn glasses or contact lenses since I was 9 or 10, this is freedom indeed!!

At that time, I was told I could see well enough to drive again... I was also told that my vision was still in flux to some extent, and that fluctuations could continue for a year... or more...

Hoping that the vision in my left eye would improve, I put off going to the license bureau to get my driver's license changed... (I no longer need corrective lenses to drive!) But what if I didn't pass the vision test?! What would I do then?!

You will pass, the optometrist had assured me. You don't need 20/20 vision to drive! Yours is good enough!

I knew I had to do it... but fear of failing held me back...

Finally, three days ago, I mustered the courage to try!

The clerk at the license bureau was friendly... she asked me to peer into over-sized binoculars...

Read the numbers...

I did.

She switched to another (smaller) set of numbers... Then another. Finally to some flashing lights (to check my peripheral vision...)

Okay, I've changed it, she said. Your new license should arrive in a few weeks...

Really?!! I couldn't stop smiling! I passed the final hurdle: It's official! I can see!!

No comments:

Post a Comment