Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Thankful for... (Part 2)

I have become an armchair traveler... enjoying emails and pictures from friends who share their travel adventures...

Yesterday I shared one misadventure of a friend. Today I'd like to share another tidbit from her email...

Without mentioning the country she was in, I'd like to quote her again...

"The city is a real mixture of old and new, and different ethnic groups. Our guide was a very knowledgeable ... man who reeled off lots of facts and figures and assured us that there was no poverty or unemployment ... unless people chose to live that way. Beggars and the homeless are very much in evidence. After the tour he privately told a couple of us that he was not allowed to say anything critical or negative about the government and faced a possible 3 years in jail if he did. "

So again... today, I'm thankful for... the FREEDOM to tell the truth - as I see it - without the risk of being thrown into prison for simply criticizing the government...

No comments:

Post a Comment