Monday, July 5, 2010

Strawberry Jam

It's that wonderful season of strawberries again...














There are only so many strawberry seasons in your life
, Barbara Frum, a Canadian broadcaster once commented when asked if she ever dieted.


The good news is... strawberries are good for dieters and non-dieters alike!

I wish I could say the same for strawberry jam... I don't normally use a lot of sugar when cooking, and dumping 7 cups of sugar into 3 3/4 cups of mashed berries does cause me to cringe... But if I don't do it, the jam won't solidify. (I know... I've tried!)

We used to pick our own strawberries Bring a carload of kids to the strawberry patch. Each of us picked at least two baskets... We'd come home with a lot of berries! In those days, I froze containers to eat in winter, and even made freezer jam.














The past few years, we've gone to a farmer's roadside stand... and paid the extra to have someone else pick the berries.

Why don't you make some jam again? Terry suggested... So I did! It was actually pretty easy - since I didn't sterilize the jars. (No need to, as I plan to store the jam in the freezer.)














This is the cooked jam - not the freezer jam - made from the recipe that comes with the pectin.














I don't expect it to stay around all that long... Terry likes it on toast - and even enjoys the runny stuff (that I accidentally made by adding less sugar) as a topping for ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment