Sunday, July 25, 2010

Sowing in Tears

"Those who sow in tears shall reap in joy. He who continually goes forth weeping, bearing seed for sowing, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him..." (from Psalm 126)

These words have the power of taking me back to my first year of university and a quote I had pinned over my desk. I had discovered it in French class. It went something like - "Celui qui pleure aujourd'hui rirera demain" - roughly translated, He who cries today will laugh tomorrow.

Time and time again, I would return to my room in residence, toss my books onto my desk, look up at the quote, and ask myself: When will tomorrow come?

It eventually did come - the following year - in a different university setting.

But there have been other times of sadness in my life... like the eight months Terry and I lived in Toronto, our second year of marriage. We had moved from Montreal so that Terry could resume his studies. I felt no real purpose in being there (much like my first year ta university). Both were times of transition - moving out of my comfort level - and questioning what I was doing with my life...

Were these hard times (for me) essential to my growth as a person? (I'd like to think they weren't wasted!)

Could they have been cut short had I focused less on my own sadness?

I recently came across the idea that depression would end if people turned away from their own problems and spent time helping others. I wonder if that really works!

No comments:

Post a Comment