Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Speak Out Your Plans?

A while back I read the autobiography of Mary Kay, the creator of the cosmetics line that bears her name. I was more interested in her personal business style than in her cosmetics. Having seen her interviewed on television, I was impressed by her determination... and her success.

I don't remember much about the book - except for one idea that I've thought about a lot: In her book, Mary Kay mentions that a motivational strategy she used to FORCE HERSELF to carry through with her ideas was to TELL people HER PLANS. Telling others that she planned to do this or that MADE HER FOLLOW THROUGH and DO IT.

Ever since reading that, I have wondered: Is that the difference between the doers and the dreamers?! Are all successful people like that? Do they boast of what they plan to achieve before they reach their goals?

My own style is so different! I keep my plans secret - for fear of not carrying them through! I only tell people what I have done once I've done it!

Is that why I'm not as driven... or as successful in business as... Mary Kay?!

Is it fear on my part? Or the caution that stems from the Biblical proverb: "Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring"?

No comments:

Post a Comment