Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A Tale of Two Muffins














I have been trying to monitor my calories this summer (after my weight jumped - when my favorite ice cream stand reopened down the street!) I'm not that successful at controlling my cravings, but sometimes I look up the number of calories in foods I enjoy. And has that been a surprise!!

Let me explain... I am a great fan of the DQ Chocolate Extreme Blizzard - with its chunks of fudge and brownies, as well as its chocolate sauce... So I wasn't really surprised to discover that a small one has HALF of my daily caloric intake (if I try to stick to 1300 calories a day). So... if I eat lots of salad for the rest of the day, and very little of anything else, it's doable!

But I was shocked to discover that another food favorite... a McDonald's Double Chocolate Muffin... a much lighter treat I enjoy with coffee... has a THIRD of my daily caloric intake! (And it's not as filling as the blizzard! I could easily eat two!)

Compare that with blueberry bran muffins I make from time to time... I would have to eat 8 of these to reach 1300 calories!

(All muffins are NOT created equal!)














If you like blueberry bran muffins, here is the recipe I use. It's from The Lighthearted Cookbook by Anne Lindsay, page 150.














Buttermilk, Bran and Blueberry Muffins
(makes 18-20)

Mix together:
  • 3 cups natural bran
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda













In another container, blend together:
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups buttermilk (or add 2 tablespoons vinegar or lemon juice to 2 cups of regular milk)
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup molasses













Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients - together with 1 cup of fresh or frozen blueberries. Mix until evenly moist.














Bake muffins for 25 minutes at 370 degrees Fahrenheit or 190 degrees Celsius.














Enjoy! (Each muffin is about 160 calories or 3 Weight Watcher points.)

No comments:

Post a Comment