Tuesday, July 6, 2010

We all need a GOAL

We all need a challenge... and a GOAL!

I recently came across an inspiring story of a young lady whose GOAL is to create a new dress a day (for a year), by up-cycling a used dress she paid no more than $1 for at a garage sale or second-hand shop. Her blog shows the before and after pictures - and her talent amazes me!

But equally interesting - to me - is her reason for undertaking this goal: to get out of a rut. (She had turned 30 and lost her job.)

Inspired by the movie Julie and Julia, where a bored woman cooks her way through a Julia Child cookbook in a year and blogs about it, Marisa decided to do something similar. Choosing something she is good at - restyling clothing - she set her goal (365 Dresses for $365)... in a year. Not only did she give herself a daily challenge that was FUN for her, her blogging about it has inspired others.

In my working life, as a teacher of adults, I was expected to help my students set goals ... and achieve them. I remember attending a workshop where I was informed that - in order to succeed - a goal needs to have 3 characteristics:
  • It needs to be achievable.
  • It needs to be realistic (for that person).
  • And it needs a time limit...
In other words, experts say that an impossible, unrealistic goal with no set time frame will never be achieved.

For most of us, this is true. (Perhaps inventors like Thomas Edison, who created 1093 inventions, don't fit this mold.) But for many of us the "principle" holds: "The amount of time it takes us to do something is the amount of time we have."

So as I reflect on the many things I would like to do in the next dozen or so years - the ones I achieve will probably be the ones that are realistic for me... and that have a time limit.

(The fact that I won't be here forever is probably not specific enough!)

Time to stop wishing and dreaming... and set some concrete GOALS!

No comments:

Post a Comment