Saturday, July 10, 2010

Flowers? Or Weeds?

I'm often puzzled by flowers that some call "weeds."














My mother (who studied agriculture in science classes - in rural Alberta - back in the 1930s) used to quote a definition she memorized back then: A weed is a plant growing in the wrong place.

I like the idea of not classifying plants as "good" and "bad" - the word WEED implying an evil invader. I mean, if I ate dandelion greens in salads, I'd probably view the host of dandelions I find in my lawn as a blessing! To me (who have never studied agriculture or horticulture), weeds are uncontrollable, unwanted plants - amazingly high on the survival list!














Which is why, whenever summer comes, I puzzle over some plants that appear in my flower beds. Are they weeds? Are they flowers? Perhaps wild flowers?














I am currently puzzling over this yellow flower that has recently bloomed...














I thought it was a weed, as I saw bunches of it in nearby fields...














But then I noticed a neighbor had it (or something that resembles it) planted under his tree. And it looked nice!














Here's a closeup... (His grass looks a whole lot nicer than mine!)














Another wild flower (weed?) I like is this blue flower in bloom in a field near my house...














I don't have any in my yard, but I really wouldn't mind if I did... They're so pretty...

Unless they take over the flower bed... like some of the flowers I have planted, I don't view them as weeds!

No comments:

Post a Comment