Saturday, June 26, 2010

Rhubarb Lassi (My Way)

I'm the only rhubarb-lover in the family...

(My father used to say: Something that sour can't be good for you...)

So - although I love rhubarb - I often delay picking the small amount that grows in my garden until the season is almost over! That's what happened again this year... And now the next dilemma:

What to do with the rhubarb?


Often I freeze it - to make a mid-winter rhubarb crisp (which I eat by myself). This year I thought it would be nice to use it fresh...

I noticed some delicious-looking Rustic Rhubarb Tarts on Smitten Kitchen... but I knew I'd be the only one eating them...


















Then - in a doctor's waiting room, looking through magazines - I noticed an interesting recipe for Rhubarb Lassi (a yogurt based smoothie that originated in India)... I've enjoyed mango lassis... Why not give it a try?

So I copied it down... but then I misplaced it!!

After searching for rhubarb lassis online, and finding NOTHING, I checked out some of the lassi recipes on You Tube. Then, based on a vague recollection of the recipe I lost, I created my own version of rhubarb lassi... made of equal parts of plain unsweetened yogurt and milk (like the lassis on You Tube) together with thick, sweetened stewed rhubarb.

To make the rhubarb sauce to add to the yogurt and milk, mix together in a microwaveable container:













  • 1 1/2 cups of fresh rhubarb, chopped in pieces
  • 1/4 cup of sugar
  • 1/4 cup of water.
Microwave the fruit, water and sugar (loosely covered) on high for 1 minute. Stir. Then microwave for 3 more minutes on 50% power.














Allow to cool.














Add about a third of the rhubarb mixture (approximately 1/3 cup) to 1/2 cup of milk and 1/2 cup of plain yogurt, blended.

I mixed the drink together stirring briskly with a spoon.

It was a refreshing (and healthy) treat on a warm summer day!

4 comments:

  1. I made another lassi by adding half a banana to the rhubarb lassi and blending it in. It was equally delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I came across the same recipe in a magazine and then misplaced the magazine so I also tried to search for it online leading to your blog. Shortly afterward I found the magazine — Best Health, Summer 2010 — and their version of the recipe if you're still interested:

    4 rhubarb stalks, chopped
    2 Tbsp orange juice
    1/2 tsp honey
    3/4 cup plain yogurt
    6 ice cubes
    splash of cold water

    Microwave rhubarb (covered) until soft. Chill. Blend with remaining ingredients until smooth.

    ReplyDelete