Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Late May Flower "Catalog"

Things changed quickly in my May garden... By the end of May, the lilacs, anemones and bleeding heart were dropping petals... and new flowers had began to bloom.

The garden was a different place!















In mid-May, I noticed the lily of the valley in fragrant bloom...I used to have a lot before we built the addition to our house ten years ago, but lost them in the excavation. These plants were given to me by a friend just last year, and they seem to be doing well.


















Irises of different sizes and colors also began to bloom. There is a bunch of small purple ones behind these large burgundy and yellow ones.














They are so lovely...


















All were given to me by fellow gardeners and friends, so I don't know what the different varieties are called - the reddish, purple and the blue.














I also have a number of "mystery" flowers in the garden... (I don't know their names...)














Like this small bunch of low-lying red flowers... (I just discovered they're called Knautia.)














And these pink-purple ones with dark leaves that look like a ground cover...














And these tall purple ones amid the hostas... (Are they weeds?!!)














Persian Cornflowers are beginning to bloom. Soon my back garden bed will be full of them - and when they've finished blooming, I'll have to pull them out. But their roots are so strong, they'll be back next year. They would completely take over the flower bed, choking out the other flowers, if left alone.

A few days ago, I discovered my first clematis...














And yellow day lily...














And purple peony...














And these - which I think are carnations - are blooming low to the ground.














(If I've misnamed any of the plants, please correct me! One of the reasons I wanted to create this monthly flower "catalog" is to keep track of the names of the various flowers in my garden.)

I don't know the names of all the different hosta plants I've managed to collect...














This hosta bed - under an evergreen - is one of my favorite parts of the garden. I always feel that summer's here when they have all opened up.

No comments:

Post a Comment