Saturday, June 19, 2010

Marlene's Fashion Tips

Okay, so I'm the last person who should be giving advice on fashion - after all, jogging pants and a t-shirt are my current wardrobe of choice!

But... for many years, I did have to stand in front of a group of (sometimes critical) students - who did notice what I wore. It's amazing to think... but I remember the entire teaching wardrobe of my grade 5 teacher, probably a recent grad with university debts to pay. She wore the same two plaid skirts with matching sweater sets all winter long... (And winter lasts a long time in Alberta!) Every day she wore either the green outfit or the red... Every day!

When spring arrived, and she switched to a dress, we (the girls in the class) ran up to her desk to tell her how nice she looked!

With her in mind, I made a conscious effort not to wear the same thing day in and day out when I was teaching. The same holds true, even now that I'm not...

So Fashion Tip #1: Aim for variety in what you wear. Of course, this may mean a little extra shopping... But it will brighten your life! Nothing like a different outfit to see yourself in a different way.

Fashion tip number 2...

A friend of mine... or rather, her husband, once commented: Diane has a closet full of nothing-to-wear...

I mention that because that "Nothing-to-wear" feeling happens to me, too...

Then I read about organizing a closet according to color.

When I went back to work after the "mommy years" at home, I borrowed a book on wardrobe planning from the library. I didn't have money for a lot of new things, so I decided to get some basics, then mix and match. One piece of useful advice from that wardrobe-planning book was:














Fashion Tip #2:
Organize your closet by grouping clothes according to color. (Shades of red, shades of blue, and so on...) It's amazing what combinations of matching outfits will jump out at you. (And the closet feels so organized!)

So whenever that "nothing-to-wear" feeling returns, I go to my closet and organize what I have.

Third, the point that started me thinking about writing a blog post in the first place...

Fashion Tip #3: Focus on colors that suit you best - and ignore the rest.

A few years ago, a friend and I went to a color consultant, who suggested colors that looked best on us. The concept - explained in this book, Color Me Beautiful, has saved me money... and time. (I don't even bother looking at clothes that are not in "my" colors.)














This concept, popular a few years ago, has worked well for me...

And finally,...

Fashion Tip #4:
If, when you try on a garment, your immediate reaction isn't...

Wow! I look amazing!


...Don't buy it! Save your money for clothes that look sensational...

No comments:

Post a Comment