Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Studying Happiness

Most of us, I think, look for ways to be happy... But I was surprised to discover that HAPPINESS is a psychology course taught at Yale University, under the name of “Eudemonology”... 

The first time it was offered, the class drew so many students that it had to be held in a campus concert hall!



I discovered all this in a podcast my daughter recommended.

Without going into detail... (You can listen to the podcast if you’re interested...) I’ll just say it’s surprising that that happiness isn’t found in most of the things we think will make us happy... 

A tip I picked up: It’s important to pay attention to those moments when we feel happy and satisfied... (The word “mindful” comes up a lot.)

What made us happy? What made us unhappy? Follow the clues...

I already realize that a heavy dose of world news unsettles me a lot. Maybe I need to go back to NOT watching or reading the news! Walks by the water - river, ocean or lake - fill me with peace. Maybe I shouldn’t view them as occasional luxuries... Maybe I need to - mindfully and consciously - make them part of my every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment