Wednesday, September 29, 2021

It’s Always a Balancing Act!!

Yesterday I wrote about Eudemonology - the study of happiness...

We all want to be happy... but it’s a balancing act, especially if what makes ME happy is playing tug-of-war with what makes someone else happy... 











I think of my university years - especially the years I lived in Jerusalem. What I wanted to do played tug-of-war with what my parents (especially my mother) wanted me to do. But I knew, instinctively, intuitively, that I really NEEDED TO BREAK FREE! 











I don’t think that was selfishness. I think it was cutting the apron strings... growing up - a normal phase of life.

Another kind of happiness-seeking can be summed up in something I read recently:

“I’m not happy BEFORE I eat the cookie... I’m not happy AFTER I eat the cookie. But I’m very happy WHILE I’m eating the cookie...”

Every dieter knows what I’m talking about!

So the question remains: should I eat the cookie? (Whatever that cookie happens to be...) 

Sometimes wisdom and discernment are required... as well as self-control!

No comments:

Post a Comment