Wednesday, September 15, 2021

September Birthday!

Today is the birthday of one of my favourite aunts, who lived well into her 90s.



Here she is with her husband, my mother’s older brother.

I was the flower girl at their wedding in 1950, a few months after my brother was born... a detail she remembered fondly.

She was born in 1922 in Poland, and later became a refugee of World War II. She once related the story of how they had to flee their family farm.

She ended up living in Edmonton near my mother’s family - where she met and married my mother’s brother, Erhardt - whose birthday is tomorrow!

They went on to have three children. 

She was the matriarch of a loving, hospitable family. Their home was the family gathering place after my grandmother died. Their house was the first one we headed to whenever we visited Edmonton - the family meeting place. It felt like “home.” I have so many great memories of spending time there with her and my mother’s relatives whenever we returned.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the lovely tribute for my Mom! So much appreciated.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete