Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Discovering Haloumi Cheese

I had heard about a salty cheese that is eaten warm, fried or grilled… Haloumi cheese. But I’d never eaten it.











I decided to give it a try. As per my daughter’s instructions, I sliced it, then fried it with a little olive oil until it browned. Then I added it to my salad... Delicious!











How does that happen - that it browns but doesn’t melt? I asked my daughter. 

I don’t know, she replied. Ask Google!

When I googled Haloumi cheese, I discovered that its origins are in Cyprus - and, in fact, the name “Haloumi” is protected: cheeses can only be called “Haloumi” if given permission by government authorities in Cyprus.

The reason why it doesn’t melt when fried may have to do with the amount of rennet (enzymes used to make cheese) that this cheese contains. Most often Haloumi cheese is made with milk from sheep and goats.

So glad I gave it a try! A delicious protein to add to a simple summer salad. Surprisingly filling as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment