Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Building New Habits

I’m reading a new book... 











Given the topic, I predict it will be a long, slow read.

The premise of the book is that, rather than ask myself what I’d like to change in my life... such as lose weight or walk more, it says to ask: WHAT TYPE OF PERSON DO YOU WANT TO BE?

When faced with small decisions - as we all are every day - ask yourself how a person like that would act and live.

It reminds me of an old song that goes something like: “Whenever I feel afraid, I hold my head erect and whistle a happy tune... and no one will suspect I’m afraid...”

An interesting concept... (PRETEND to be the person you’d like to be... Act as if you are...?) Is it the same as FAKE IT TILL YOU MAKE IT(?!)

When I finally paused to think about the kind of person I’d like to be at my stage of life, (somewhat to my surprise) the words: “energetic, active, interested in life” came to mind. Later I added “patient.”

(Are these thoughts my reaction to the past year and a half’s COVID-19 lockdown?)

I’m not sure what the next step is (I’ll have to keep reading) but I’m already thinking about how I could be more active - even when the weather outdoors is too hot (or sunny or rainy) for me to take long walks. 

Am I building a wall of excuses?! 

What would an active, energetic person do in this case?!


No comments:

Post a Comment