Friday, September 24, 2021

Hot Air Balloon Overhead!

A few mornings ago, through the open window, Terry heard the whooshing sound of a hot air balloon going higher.











We don’t see as many hot air balloons in the sky over our house as we used to, so I went out to check.











It was over the soccer field next door. 

On occasion a balloon used to land in the college parking lot.

I wonder if this one is looking for a place to land.

Hot air balloons are carried by the wind but the current blows in different directions at different elevations, so there is some direction control. Pilots do, however, try to stay near parks and fields - places where they can land.

Once my youngest son and I saw one land on a flat shopping centre roof. I’m sure that wasn’t the pilot’s first choice!

I’ve been up in a hot air balloon three times... Twice with Terry and once with my daughter. Then I sort of lost my nerve...

It’s magical - floating slowly above quiet streets and fields in the early morning or late afternoon: A beautiful aerial view one rarely sees otherwise.

There were always five people in the basket when we had a ride: the pilot and four passengers. I can’t see how many are in this basket.











I wonder if they’re looking for a place to come down. A small truck follows them, with helpers to fold and pick up the deflated balloon and basket once they’re down. The ideal spot is a field - with no power lines - where a truck can easily  drive up close to pick up the balloon and basket.

A hot air balloon ride is an exhilarating way to start one’s day!

No comments:

Post a Comment