Sunday, July 26, 2020

Summer Reading: Learning About the Jesuits

One of my goals, since retiring, is to learn as much as I can about the 2000 years of Christian history. I initially wanted to know how much had changed over the years. Not a lot, I've discovered - which is pretty amazing!

Along the way, I've read about some of the the giants in the faith... Madame Guyon, Benedict of Nursia...

A year ago, in Toronto, while taking a course on Greek-Orthodox iconography, I met a young woman who was planning to study at a Jesuit community in France.

A pretty, dynamic young woman, she was, by profession, an accountant.

I told her I had bought the book of "spiritual exercises" of Ignatius, founder of the Jesuits. But I hadn't started reading it yet.






Try the "at home" retreat version, she suggested. It's easier to do on your own.

So I bought the book she mentioned - and it has sat - untouched - on my bookshelf ever since...












I recently came across another Jesuit book - less intimidating than the "spiritual exercises." A modern "best seller" by a young American priest, it's an enjoyable summer read -  The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything.

Interesting, informative - and written in a humorous way.

Once I finish it, I may finally dig into the famous "Spiritual Exercises" - probably the "at-home" version!



No comments:

Post a Comment