Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Memory of Our Older Son Traveling to Russia

Sorting through old photos a while back, I came across some taken by our older son when he traveled to Moscow 17 years ago today, on July 29, 2003. He was traveling with two friends, one of whom was born in Russia and spoke Russian fluently.

It was an adventure for all of us - for Terry and me as well as for him... Terry and I were very anxious - knowing that he'd be in a country where neither Terry nor I (or he, for that matter) spoke the language. For the first week, he would be staying by himself at a hotel in downtown Moscow, while Roman,  his Russian friend, together with Roman's girlfriend, would stay at his grandparents' home. After that, the three of them would stay together at the home of a different relative of Roman's.

It was a time of "firsts" for us all: First time he was traveling outside of North America. First time he was going to a country where he didn't speak the language. For me, first time making a hotel reservation online - entering my credit card info with great trepidation...


I purchased his ticket over the phone from a travel agent in Toronto - the same travel agent his friends had used. They specialized in travel to Russia - which came in handy when I couldn't get anyone to answer the phone at the Russian embassy in Ottawa. My son needed a visa to go there. Fortunately, when time was running out, the travel agency stepped in to help.

I don't remember how many emails - if any - went back and forth between us while he was away... But he had an unforgettable experience and returned, a month later, with dozens of stories to tell.

Terry was all smiles when he returned.

I was amazed that - during his first week in Moscow - when he had been on his own - he had taken the subway to see different sights.

How did you know where to get off?! I asked.

The subway stops are written on the walls, just like in Canada, he replied.

 But they have a different alphabet than ours...

They announced the subway stops on the PA system, and I memorized the graphic that was the hotel stop...

Age 19... You think they still need you for everything... Then they prove that they really don't!! (Is that cause for relief - or more panic?! What will come next?!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment