Thursday, July 2, 2020

Margaret's Favorite Teacher

My mother loved school as a child - which propelled her to want to become a teacher.

She was only 9 when her family arrived in Canada in 1928... Her introduction to Canadian education was in a one-room country school.

Here's a picture of her at the time, at the bottom left of the picture.

A few years later, she attended Oliver School in Edmonton, where she met a teacher she would never forget - her grade 8 teacher, Mrs. McNallie, who inspired her, against all odds, to pursue a teaching career herself.

Fifty years later, she was thrilled to meet up with Mrs. McNallie again - on July 2, 1984 in Edmonton.

From left to right: my aunt Zilla (the wife of my mother's older brother,  the oldest child in the photo above), my mother's sister Lydia ( two years older than my mom, also in the photo above), Mrs. McNallie and my mother - who was thrilled to meet her favorite teacher again - after so many years!

No comments:

Post a Comment