Friday, July 17, 2020

Day Trip to Smiths Falls

Terry recently suggested a drive to Smiths Falls via the back roads.

We stopped at the canal locks, where I had spent a night aboard a small cruise boat in 2016, when I took 5-day cruise down the Rideau Canal.









I looked around to  find the spot where we had moored at that time - but couldn't place it.

Was it where these smaller boats were now moored?








While Terry chatted with some people we met, I wandered around photographing interesting sights...









Hopefully nobody was hurt when this massive branch fall! It looks dangerous!









Families were swimming in the river..

Ducks and geese had settled in at a different beach.









Swans were fishing for food nearby...











Terry enjoyed watching them.












I asked one of the lock-keepers about the cruise boat I had been on in 2016 - the Kawartha Voyageur...

Have they been doing canal cruises this year?

The boat wasn't all that large... It would be hard to socially distance, especially at mealtime...

I haven't seen them this year, she said. Last year they had problems. Sometimes the water in the canal was too low. At other times it was too high...

Hmmm. I didn't realize that there were so many variables in boating on the canal...

No comments:

Post a Comment