Monday, July 6, 2020

Fried Cabbage - and Egg Noodles

My daughter was a vegetarian for many years. She still rarely cooks meat. Her eating habits are so different from mine that I always find it interesting to hear what she had for supper. Fried egg on a bed of kale is a perennial favorite... 

She recently mentioned a simple supper she had made: fried cabbage mixed with cooked egg noodles. The recipe she used referred to it as "comfort food." (I'm not sure what that means... For me, "comfort food" has to have chocolate in it!)

When I tried the recipe myself, it was certainly filling and satisfying!

I used half a small cabbage, sliced in strips - and a small onion, similarly cut...

I fried the cabbage and onion slowly in several tablespoons of olive oil... Eventually (in half an hour to forty-five minutes) they caramelized.



Impatient to eat, I served them just as they were beginning to turn brown. They could have been cooked a little longer.

To the caramelized cabbage, I added the cooked egg noodles. The result is surprisingly delicious!

Online I discovered that there are a lot of variations to this popular East European dish. My daughter's recipe didn't mention onions - just chopped cabbage. But an online search for "fried cabbage and pasta" brings up a surprisingly large number of variations for Haluski.

Cottage cheese, cherry tomatoes, cooked sausage, and even dumplings are mentioned. Some recipes say to fry the cabbage in butter...

A very simple, versatile - and popular - dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment