Sunday, May 19, 2019

The Gift of Being Heard

The year we lived in Toronto, Terry was a student at the Institute for Christian Studies. He wanted to deepen his understanding of counselling before entering the Pastoral Counselling Program at St. Paul's University in Ottawa - which is why we moved to Ottawa all those years ago.

One of the ICS instructors whose approach he appreciated - and continues to appreciate - is Jim Olthuis, who has written a number of counseling books, among them, The Beautiful Risk, published in 2001.

As I did my winter mall walking, Terry often read in the food court, over coffee. (I would leave my winter coat and hat with him...)

Recently he shared a nugget from the book... about listening to other people's stories: Listening is a primary gesture of love... Listening with the ears of the heart is to take in the other, not as a problem to solve, but as a mystery to meet... Being available to the other gives hope... (P. 153)

The book is about counseling, but - though I'm no counsellor - I am reminded that listening compassionately to others is a simple but important gift I too can give.

No comments:

Post a Comment