Saturday, May 18, 2019

Hellebores in My Flower Beds

I bought my first two helleborus plants about 10 years ago. They were early bloomers. At the time, most of  my perennials bloomed in July.

I got two plants,  both white, and planted them in my south-facing garden bed where I thought they'd do well in direct sun.

But they had fewer and fewer flowers year by year.













I began moving one into different parts of the yard - trying to find a better l location. It did better in a sunny, west-facing bed.

A few years later, I looked for hellebores in other colors. I'd seen pictures of purple and pink ones online, but here in the city, I was only able to find yellow and white ones.

This new yellow one had a lot of flowers this year.

My plant in the front garden bed  (top photo) only had 2 flowers this year, and they disappeared quickly. I think the plant is on its last legs...

If I can find its leaves amid emerging flowers, I'll try to move it to the west-facing bed. But it might be too late.

I don't think it will survive another year where where it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment