Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Singing Again

Music was always part of my parents' life, so it was natural for them to encourage me - as a child - to sing in a children's choir at church. Since then, I've done very little singing. My mother still loves to sing - and, at 95, her voice is stronger than mine. In fact, her favorite nursing home activities are exercise classes and sing-alongs, which fortunately occur almost daily.

After reading somewhere that singing keeps people young, I wondered if I shouldn't join a choir and begin to sing again. But I never did - no time! 

However, the ukulele classes I started four weeks ago have me singing again! As my ukulele instructor reminded us in our group lesson, ukuleles play chords - we have to sing the melody.















In the short time I've been doing classes, I've developed a repertoire of a dozen or more songs. Fortunately several are favorites of my son who lives in Toronto. A few evenings ago, we were singing together on Facetime - a skype-like program - as I was demonstrating my progress in ukulele playing...

Unfortunately, however, today is my last class for this session, and I don't plan to sign up for the next one. (Life gets busy in summer!)








You can't quit now, my son said sadly. You're just starting to get it.

I plan to begin again in fall, I assured him... And in the meantime, I plan to keep playing - and singing - every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment